It be's that way sometimes.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Just NO-thing

So there is NOTHING for me to blog--not one thing that is of interest, quirky, funny, thought-provoking--nothing. I, unlike Jerry Seinfeld, cannot do a blog about nothing. . .I could quote funny lines from Seinfeld, but you just really don't get those unless you saw them--which I did WAY back before I had kids. . .even though I didn't really like Seinfeld. I preferred Mad About You--which I found on some obscure half fuzzy channel on my t.v. this week--it was after they had the baby and Paul and Jamie were in counseling for some reason and he whacked the therapist in the nose with a golf club he insisted on carrying with him everywhere he went--funny stuff.

No. Right now all I have going on is a roast in the crock pot and a quick trip to Kroger to get some eggs so I can make a cake I don't need to eat. I don't plan on eating it alone--my family requested it. . .and it's a good one. So, in the vein of recipes I've been dotting on here lately, here's another. And I got the incredible cranberry orange cake recipe from my student and will share it later. The cake one I've got memorized.

(Out of habit, I don't normally say the first word in the title of the cake. . .one night I was spelling it for Tony, but I was tired and so it came out "D-A-arn." That's what we he and I call it. The kids don't call it anything--they are too busy eating it.)

Darn Good Chocolate Cake

1 box Duncan Hines chocolate fudge or devil's food cake mix
1 C. sour cream
1 regular package chocolate instant pudding
4 eggs
1/2 C. oil
1/2 C. water
1 1/2 C. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix everything together except the chocolate chips. It'll be thick. Stir in chocolate chips with a spoon. (It called for regular chips--but I find as thick as the batter is they still fall to the bottom). Grease and flour (or use cocoa powder rather than flour) a bundt pan. Pour in the batter and cook at 350 for about an hour. You can't really tell it's done by sticking a tooth pick in it--too much melty chocolate--so you will have to give it the pressure test. Serve hot with vanilla icecream and an EMT on standby. There is a really, really rich chocolate sauce you can put on the top. . .and Tony likes the cake "all the way"--but it's not for the faint of heart. I will post it in case you're feelin' lucky. . .or you could use it on something not so potent.

Martha's Chocolate Icing

1 C. sugar
5 tbsp butter
1/3 C. whole milk
1 C. chocolate chips (this time use regular ones. . .the mini ones don't melt well)

Put sugar, butter, and milk into a pan. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly 3-4 minutes until it comes to a boil. Continue to stir constantly and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, pour in chocolate chips, and stir until the chocolate is melted. It is VERY runny but hardens up as it cools--it will develop a "crust" in the pan while it cools--or you can drizzle it over something.

Really good.

Off to clog an artery. . .

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

Oh, my! This cake sounds like heart attack in a bowl! I'll have to see how my husband likes it. He would nearly choose chocolate over water if he were stranded in the desert.

Thanks for sharing!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh my word. I'm afraid.

11:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You are a good mom -- I NEVER make any type of dessert for my family. Occasionally, chocolate chip cookies or banana bread will be made, but my family knows dessert = fruit at this house. That's sad, because it IS a darn good chocolate cake.

I like Mad About You better, as well. Don't think I remember them being in counseling -- although I have seen fewer episodes of them with a baby in reruns.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Donna. . .if he chooses chocolate over water, then you need to make sure and get the dark chocolate fudge cake mix and the dark chocolate fudge pudding as well. Oh. My. Goodness.

Rebecca. . .I bet $5 you already have the ingredients and have tried the recipe by Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. :)

Sarah. . .well, it would be much better for my kiddos if they KNEW that dessert=fruit at my house. As it stands, they do get fruit twice daily. . .but we throw in the dessert too. ANd I thought of you when I found Mad About You on t.v. I hadn't seen any after the baby was born either--but every time Paul would go to swing the club, either someone would interrupt him or he would interrupt himself by saying something in which he needed to fake swing the club again to make a point. The only time he got a full-fledged swing in the whole 30 minutes was when he smacked the therapist in the nose.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cake might as well be called Satan's Cake because the recipe looks absolutely sinful!!!
I'm glad I'll have an experienced EMT nearby if this ever is served up around here, of course, that won't do much good if the EMT is the one eating it.

(We're back home now - I'm catching up on all these posts of yours. Happy After Thanksgiving!)

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home