It be's that way sometimes.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

SOUNDS disgusting, TASTES divine

I grew up in a family of cooks. There is not a bad one in the bunch--from my Grandaddy to my own Daddy to my Momma and her Momma and everyone in between. We can take very few ingredients and make a wonderfully filling meal. We can take something that we measured completely wrong and fix it on the fly. My mother recently demolished a dessert. . .a sugar free lemon icebox pie in a graham cracker crust. I can't remember exactly how it happened--but the crust sort of got mixed in with the lemon filling, so she put it into muffin cups and served it anyway. Three people asked her for the recipe. . .WE CAN COOK. But when Tony and I first got married, I made what is known in the food world as a flop. I had gotten several cookbooks. . .and in an effort to use them, I found a recipe that looked like something Tony would enjoy.

In the Watts household, our refrigerator was filled with many strange and exotic things. . .the carcass of a deer in mid-processing, ducks that had just been scalded and picked, ground beef from cows that had been grazing in our pasture just a few days hence, 7-Up salad, wild duck dressing (and you felt like the lucky one if you found a piece of buckshot in your serving). But one thing I NEVER, EVER, EVER remember seeing in our fridge was sour cream.

Then I moved to Texas and was introduced to the world of TexMex and the many wonderful merits of sour cream. Tony and his sister in particular enjoy sour cream. . .Daisy brand, thank you. So when I saw a recipe for homemade sour cream macaroni and cheese, well it seemed to be something Tony would really enjoy.

Oh. My. Goodness. We tried to eat it--really we did. We were young, and newlywed, and poor, and hungry. . .but it just could not be eaten.

Since then I have been VERY careful of the new recipes I try--and I make sure thas sour cream would really and truly be a good addition.

That being said, allow me to introduce you to the SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE.

Before you go gagging, it is just about the most heavenly apple pie you will ever eat in your whole entire life. . .as my co-worker says, "It's the bomb-diggity." The recipe comes from our science teacher, Jim. The first time he handed me a dessert plate with this delicacy and said, "Try it. It's SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE." Well, I words cannot adequately describe the face I made. Nor can they describe how delicious this confection is. I urge you, if you like apple pie, or dessert, or anything really, really yummy to try it out. And it's VERY easy. The recipe follows:

SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE (and I'm not kidding)

4-5 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced
1 C. sour cream
1 C. sugar
pinch salt
4 Tbsp. cornstarch or flour to thicken
1 pie crust (I used ready made)

Slap your pie crust in a pie plate. Slice the apples into the crust. Mix the other 4 ingredients together (it will be like pudding) and pour over the apples in the crust. Bake at 350 for one hour. . .you can turn the broiler on the last 4 minutes or so to brown the top if you like. Cool. Cut. Eat. And then you will quit laughing at me for suggesting such an ingredient.

REALLY. REALLY. GOOD. I have eaten several of Jim's pies, and tonight I have made my own. Tony does not yet know the secret ingredient. I will wait until after he eats the pie to tell him.

Addendum to the apple pie. . .
*There is no top crust
*I recommend browning the bottom crust a little before you put the apples and filling in it so it's not pasty
*I also prefer it at room temp. I put the remainder in the fridge last night, and I didn't like it as well cold. . .so you can either warm it up, or just eat it all after you cook it and it cools. :)
*Good Eatin'. . .I will own that our entire pie is already gone. . .it had not even 24 hours on this earth and is wholly consumed.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I've seen several recipes for sour cream apple pie, but I've never been brave enough to try it, because I've never seen one or heard of anyone actually eating one.

Now, because your recipes have yet to fail me, I shall venture forth into the unknown. Wish me luck.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apple Pie is my all time favorite dessert in the universe - I can't wait to try this!!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quick question: Do you cover the pie filling in the crust with more crust? Most apple pies are covered with a crust... Just curious.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Addendum to the apple pie. . .


*There is no top crust

*I recommend browning the bottom crust a little before you put the apples and filling in it so it's not pasty

*I also prefer it at room temp. I put the remainder in the fridge last night, and I didn't like it as well cold. . .so you can either warm it up, or just eat it all after you cook it and it cools. :)

*Good Eatin'

6:49 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Baking. . .

Smells goooooood.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

It looks beautiful. I don't know if I'll be able to wait till room temp. . .

9:17 PM  
Blogger mouse said...

I'll give it a try this coming weekend. My son Michael has been asking me to make an apple pie anyway and I love trying new recipes.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Mmmm... Buttermilk. I didn't think to try that. Good idea.

I'm still testing the pie. I tried it on the warm side last night, and it was very tasty. The texture was nice too, but I missed the spice warmth I expect from apple pie. I kept thinking it would be perfect with blackberries instead. But I still haven't tried it at optimal temperature. Right now, I'm going to try it straight out of the fridge, and maybe later at room temp.

This is beginning to resemble the Moon Pie deliberations.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oooooh. . . Quite delectable served cold!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the best tasting aple pies ever! J just got up off the couch and went to serve up his second slice. That slice is 3/8 of the pie.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home