It be's that way sometimes.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dust Bunnies Roasting on a gas heater flame. . .

Well, with Halloween only a week and a day away, we are actually SUPPOSED to go below 50 degrees tonight. . .48 is the forecast. Oh, joy!!! It's also cold in Arkansas according to Stephanie.

Sarah has this really funny post about how her kids think that baked potatoes smell like burning dogfood. Well. . .

Friday morning, it got down to 50 degrees outside, which corresponds to a chilly (for Houstonians) 68 degrees INSIDE. I turned on the heater at about 5:30 a.m.--exactly FIVE minutes later Victoria enters my room all sleepy and disheveled looking and says, "Mommy, you know at Christmas time when we have all the lights and mistletoe on the stairs? Well, it smells like that."

So, forget chestnuts roasting on an open fire, sugar cookies baking in the oven, cinnamon scented pinecones on the freshly cut fir tree. . .evidently Victoria thinks the smell of Christmas is dust bunnies in the vents burning up from the heater not being fired since March.

5 Comments:

Blogger mouse said...

That's really funny!! Kids are so cute. Mine use to tell me something in the house was on fire when we would first fire the heater up (the sad part is it always made me a bit nervous even thought Jerry would tell me it was just dust).
Your comment on my post, I do love my house and porch very much (it is only 6 months old). You can see the plants that were in the pot are dead and gone an you said chrysanthemums, can I put those in the pots and keep them out there now? I have been wanting to find some plants we could put in those pots. We are suppose to get down to freezing tomorrow night.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I remember that smell! This year I'm going to try not to use it though. It's below freezing here, at night. I'm glad you guys are finally getting some fall weather down there!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm impressed that Christmas smells like the heater in Houston -- pretty much the only Louisiana Christmas' I remember are ones where the A/C was running!

38* yesterday a.m. and 41* right now -- heater still hasn't come on.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Yes, well the dust bunny smell is still there due to the infrequency with which we run the heat between say March and Christmas day. . .and one year we had the heat on Christmas morning, and the A/C on Christmas night.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wool blankets.

Down comforters.

Long johns.

Flannels.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home