It be's that way sometimes.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Update on the Exercise Program

So I go out for my first walk of the season tonight. . .I stretch. . .well. . .and I take off at a fairly slow pace for me--long strides--arms up and moving. Not even a good 5 minutes into it, my right outside calf muscle feels as though it has a blow torch with it's name on it--I slow down a little to see if that helps. It does. . .so I continue at my slower pace.

And then it starts burning again--really, really burning like "you need to stop now, now, now right this very second, NOW" burning. So I slow down even more and decide that I will a) go to the chiropractor tomorrow to get my hips straightened out--which is probably the cause of the blow torch feeling, b) stretch THREE TIMES A DAY until I've gotten back in the swing of things, and c) continue to walk at a slow pace to work out the burn before I get home.

I arrive at our neighborhood park. There is no sidewalk around the park, but I don't really want to walk across the street and I think that walking on the grass might be better at this juncture than walking on the concrete. The park is manicured--grass freshly cut--it is spongy, thick grass, and I have taken about four steps in it before I realize that the spongy is water, and just then my left foot lands in what can only be described as a very, very, very muddy with thick, slimy mud puddle. I guess a water main broke under there, because we haven't had rain in over a week. My shoe is covered with really, really, slimy dark mud. My other shoe is drenched with just icky water, and at this point I decide to throw in the towel. I mean, seriously. . .

So I get home and ring the doorbell. Tony answers the door and immediately looks at my mud-drenched shoe and says, "What is that? Bird poop?" I reply, "No, it's mud. Open the garage door." And in the time it took him to get to the garage and push the button, I had a moment for the following thought to dawn--breaking over me like a wave on the ocean. . .


EXACTLY WHAT SIZE BIRD WOULD IT HAVE TAKEN TO COMPLETELY COVER MY LEFT ATHLETIC SHOE IN POO?????

I'm not sure, but I AM sure that I don't care to get close enough to it to let it poop on me or my shoe--especially if my foot is actually IN my shoe.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I still say stick with the exercise -- you did it! YAY!! Keep it up! But definitely stay away from pterodactyl poop.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm glad I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read that...particularly anything carbonated!

Funny!!!!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

LOL. Ew. And yay, you! Keep it up! Once you're better, anyway.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!
You go, girl, and if you try to tell yourself reasons not to, tell yourself to hush up and go anyway!

I've gone out and looked like a fool walking up and down and back and forth and back and forth on our short dead-end street after dark singing commercial jingles, christmas carols, and made-up-songs to myself as I pass the time, getting in that 30 or 40 minutes of motion into my day... but I don't do it often enough.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home