It be's that way sometimes.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Double Talk

*WARNING. . .THIS IS A POST ABOUT A POLITICAL ISSUE THAT IS ABOUT TO BE VOTED ON IN CONGRESS. . .IF YOU DON'T DO POLITICS--GO BACK AND LOOK AT THE KIDS ONE MORE TIME. IF YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF NEEDING HEALTH INSURANCE A LOT, READ ON.*

I'm really not an ultra-political person. . .I'd much rather the lawmakers, congressmen, senators, and elected officials do their jobs and let me do mine, but the politicians are at it again. And pardon me if you either are a politician or are related to one in any way, shape, or form. My sister is a doctor--a chiropractor-- and just got home from a meeting in Lousiana that was chock full of medical and chiropractic physicians alike regarding the following:

There is a federal bill effecting every state (so for my two Arkansas readers, this goes for you too) in congress that is about small business insurance benefits. It looks nice and fluffy from the outside, but as always, on the inside there's a little rotten core. They just keep on hiding those GREAT BIG issues behind good looking outsides. It will be voted on as soon as the immigration bill is decided. . .which could be as soon as next week.

The bill is S1955, and it looks really good. . .allowing small business owners to provide benefits for their employees at reasonable prices, etc. until you find out that it will do away with any control the state has over requiring insurance companies to pay for anything. What that means is--your rates can go up because you're over 55 or because you're of child bearing age or because you need to lose 20 pounds or because you have a family history of high blood pressure even though you are perfectly healthy 35 year old. . .it could do away with paying for maintenance things like mammograms, colorecetal exams, pap smears, well baby visits, vaccines, diabetic supplies, and the like. If this sounds a little like the stone age--welcome to it. Right now, as bad as your insurance costs may be, the state still requires them to pay for certain things we consider necessities--like small pox vaccines--but this would give all control to the federal government and make it against the law for any state to require anything of any insurance company.

So--just like our ridiculous education bills here in Texas (don't even get me started) they are hiding a pill in the pudding.

If you feel the necessity to do so, contact your congressman and tell him to vote AGAINST S1955. . .From our own congressmen in Texas, they have said they really don't read e-mails--they do answer their phones. . .and I've heard they HATE faxes--so I'd fax 'em just to be on the safe side.

*HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE BEGINNING and END OF POLITICAL TOPICS ON THIS BLOG. WHEW!!!*

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

My husband just started working for the court system, and you wouldn't believe the insane amount of benefits he gets. I'm starting to realize now that it's good and fine for the politicians to mess with the medical system, as long as they get to keep their pristine health plans... but screw the rest of us. I'd like to see if they'd be willing to swallow their own pill.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

Really appreciated the potty training tip on my blog. Genious!

Hate to post this on your blog, but wanted to let you know. Email me if you get a chance.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures!!

And as far as health insurance - and the government - and who pays for what... I just get dizzy thinking about it.
I'm a happy medium, compromise, kind of person. One way is never right for 'everyone' so the meeting mid-way is, in my opinion, the nicest way to go.
Wish I knew more about the issues to have a 'midway point of view' though.

Whoa, the room is spinning again from all this thinking about social issues :)

I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on the Texas education bills - Education is maybe my top most "political issue" that I feel some passion about.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home