It be's that way sometimes.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Ch-Yo-Ca

For 10 years of my life, I went to camp. Every summer, rain or shine, and frequently both, I was just outside of Calhoun, Louisiana at Camp Ch-Yo-Ca. The memories are wonderful, touchingly painful, crystal clear, exceptional. That place and many teachers, counselors, directors, fellow campers who were there helped me to grow up in my faith and as a human.

Sarah e-mailed me today to tell me that one of my friends from long ago had run into another friend--both from camp. So I logged onto one of their blogs to join in the conversation. I remember them like they were then--Brandon with red hair and a personality bigger than life. Arlene with her beautiful, huge blue eyes and her side-kick, Holly. I cannot even begin to list the people that I loved there.

They closed camp down last summer, I was told. It needed to be majorly renovated, etc. I had hoped that Victoria would be making a trip of her own to Ch-Yo-Ca soon. I would be a Bible teacher during the day and go home to my parent's house at night. . .or brave it and stay in a cabin with a bunch of giggling little girls--share a bath-house with even more giggling little girls. Thad would have to wait a few more years to be old enough. Maybe the rumors weren't true.

Several years ago they had a reunion there. I missed it. Victoria was a baby. Tony and I were trying to get back to Houston and couldn't stay one more day to attend. As much as I love places and times, it's almost too much for me to go back. I am a very emotional gal--and it is hard for me to revisit things so dear to me. That being said, camp is forever in my heart--the place and the people who made it such a great place to spend a few weeks of every summer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I'm so glad to have found you. Camp is truly one of my most wonderful memories ever! Actually, the running expense, etc, was too much. I was able to go out to visit summer before last and take my then 2 year old. He loved it! I knew he would have made a great "camp kid." I, too, had hoped to return with my children. My pics will soon go in a scrapbook and the stories will live on!
Take care! dkrite3@yahoo.com

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How fun is this?! It is so good to hear about you. E-mail me please so we can catch up! (mayes6@cox.net) I did go to camp a few years ago to a junior hight session and taught Bible class while my sons went to day camp and my daughter was babysat there. We stayed at night with Karen and David Bromley and had so much fun! I was also so sad to hear it closed and dreamed of my kids going~more for me just to be able to go back myself. :) Ch-Yo-Ca was the place where my faith became my own and will always be dear to my heart. I'll look forward to hearing from you.
Blessings~Arlene

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the summer of 1979 and among the ice-cream scented ponderosa pines of the Rocky Mountains when I, at age 11, heard the Good News for the first time when an old, tall and thin grey-headed man shed tears as he shared the story of Jesus' crcifixion to a group af 5 - 7 graders at Camp Elim.

This summer will be the first year W goes to camp.

My heart swells.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home