It be's that way sometimes.

Monday, March 13, 2006

"I have come to a frightening conclusion. . ."

Sarah posted a very powerful quote on her blog over the weekend. It reminded me of the following, so I've decided to post it here.

The quote was actually written for teachers. If you want to read it in in its original form, then replace "home" with "classroom", "wife and mother" with "teacher", "family's" with "student's". . .and it will be back to normal. It hangs on the wall in my classroom. I'll admit that I overlook it frequently, but each time I read it, I'm convicted that not only is the statement true as a teacher, but it is painfully and abundantly true as the lady of the house. So here is the "Mommy" version of Haim Ginott's wonderful thought. . .and my sincerest apologies to him.


"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the home. It's my personal approach that creates the climate. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a wife and mother I possess a tremendous power to make my family's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and my family humanized or dehumanized."
Haim Ginott

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandy's Space said...

Very powerful truth! I realized this many years ago when I was PMSing. I began to rant and rave and actually watched how my husband and son became quiet and you could feel the energy in the room turn. It was from that point on I became very cognizant of how I wanted to be when I was around those that I loved.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Like Sandy, I have realized this and HATE that the dog is the only one in my home who doesn't absorb my bad mood. A weighty responsibility the Lord has given us as mothers. . .

6:48 PM  
Blogger ste-pha-nie said...

There's some science behind all that PMS-ing.
There are somedays, however, that it seems like he is the one with PMS! Especially during allergy season.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home