It be's that way sometimes.

Friday, March 17, 2006

Daffodowndilly

Recently Stephanie left a photo on her blog of daffodils in her yard. . .it caused me to get more than a little verbose about my love of daffodils. . .they are on sale at Randall's this week. . .20 stems for $3.99. I'm off to get some tomorrow after school. . .and here's my comment to Stephanie.

"Daffodils. . .my favorite of all spring flowers–possibly all flowers. The scent of daffodils is so deeply entrenched in my memory of childhood that I might as well be back home–picking them for Momma from the side of the front yard near the woods–about to get in trouble for being barefoot when it was barely 70 degrees yet–the smell of new clover mixed in with the scent of the daffodils (Momma said they were really jonquils) and the drippy sap oozing from the freshly broken stem. When I get them now they are from a grocery store–daffodils don’t grow so well here–and rather than an empty coke bottle, I ALWAYS put them in an emerald green depression glass juice pitcher that my Grandaddy left to me–but the scent is the same. "

Go buy yourself a bunch--or better yet--pick them from your yard if you are blessed to live in a place where they grow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only am I off to pick some daffodils, I am so inspired now that I'm also heading over to the well-stocked flea market down the road to find a special vase for them... much to the eye-ball rolling of my anti-more-stuff-in-the-house husband :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Sandy's Space said...

Alas, my daffodils will have to wait. Snow here this morning. And can you believe it, tomorrow's the first day of spring. I will just have to ride on the wave of those who are already experiencing spring.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home