It be's that way sometimes.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"Pigs and Geese and Ducks better scurry. . .





"Pigs and geese and ducks better scurry, when I take you out in my surrey, when I take you out in my surrey with the fringe on top."

Not quite what they had in Oklahoma. . .but the song is ruined for me anyway, 'cause I can only hear the "When Harry Met Sally" version in my head.

There is a limited number of things one can do on an island since it is, after all, an island and has only so much room for activities. Victoria is keeping a list of the things we have yet to do lest we forget. Our favorite things to do on Galveston Island are free. We go to Tony's parents' house, the beach, ride the ferry to the Bolivar Peninsula and back. We also splurge and do one night of "costing" things when we are down there. Normally it's dinner out and a game of putt-putt golf at the PRETTIEST little putt-putt course you've ever seen.

THIS time, it was taking a bike ride. What a lovely idea. Pedaling along the seawall with the breeze blowing and gently ruffling the fringe on what was touted (in painted banner) as "The Cadillac of Surreys." The kids honking the horn at seagulls--waving to passers-by.

There are lots of interesting facts about Galveston Island. It was home to the aggressive and cannibalistic Karankawa Indians. They would smear their bodies with rancid alligator fat to keep the mosquitoes away. (There you have the extent of my remaining knowledge of native Americans of Texas from the ONE year I taught 4th grade.) It was also reportedly the "secret hideout" of famed pirate Jean Lafitte. The hurricane of 1900 was the worst in the United States in recorded history sweeping away almost every building on the island and inspiring the construction of the Galveston seawall and jetty system. Galveston was also home to the first newspaper AND the first electric lights in the state.

Of all of the Galveston trivia I have read or heard, however, I have never been privy to the most interesting fact of all.

Galveston Island does, in fact, run uphill both ways.

I'm not quite sure why this is not a more widely known item of interest. Maybe it's because you only notice this odd geological malformation while pedaling a surrey that holds up to 6 people when only 2 people's legs are long enough to actually reach the pedals and pedal it. . .at 4:30 in the afternoon. . .on Labor Day weekend. I am sure it's not nearly as noticeable if, say, it's February and a two person surrey is occupied AND being pedaled by two people.

Alas, I don't plan to find out. It was fun while it lasted. Victoria was able to attend to her list. Riding the bike has been officially (thank all that is good and holy) marked off--at least until the children are a little taller.

Next item on the agenda. . .duck boats.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time we go to Galveston I'm definitely going to ride a surrey. Hills or no - that looks like a lot of fun :)

8:44 PM  
Blogger Sandy's Space said...

I just love reading about your family outings!!!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I have no clue what a duck boat is. But I hope, for your sake, it does not involve pedaling. We used to ride surreys along the beaches in Ventura when we first moved to CA. Like you said, it gets old pretty quick, even without the heat to contend with. Sounds like you guys had lots of fun, though. What a cool place to visit grandparents!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Duck Boat. . .a vehicle that looks like a safari tour bus and is land and sea equipped. . .it zips along on a tour of the island, then takes a dive in Galveston Bay and floats around as a boat before going BACK on the road and depositing you safely on land.

The kids REALLY want to do this. R-E-A-L-L-Y.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I would want to do that too, if I were them. :) Thanks for praying.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home