It be's that way sometimes.

Monday, September 11, 2006

My Kids




Well, I have had lots to ponder on this day five years hence from one of the greatest tragedies our country has ever seen. Part of that pondering is explaining pieces of it to my girl. She was just over three years old on September 11, 2001--Thad one day shy of three months. Victoria doesn't remember a whole lot. . .not even how upset she was that she didn't get to watch her videos like normal that day. So as the kiddos are brushing teeth and getting ready to bed down, Tony and I are preparing to watch part of a movie. . .on a school night no less. . .and I thought I might just tack on these totally inappropriate yet totally appropriate images of my kids. There is no trace of fear in them. Their world was affected without their knowledge. They will not know the world I lived in. But we are doing what parents all over this world are doing--trying to keep the daily round of our lives as stable and safe and happy as possible.

So on that note. . .

Here is a picture of Victoria's 8th birthday cake. She requested flip-flops and I obliged.



And the boy lost a tooth one week ago tomorrow. He was thrilled beyond measure to actually be "first" for once--'cause even though Victoria lost her first tooth about 2 1/2 years ago. . .she was almost 6 when hers came out and he is barely 5.



Enjoy your night. Hug your kids. Kiss your husband. Drink a real Coke. Thank God for the grace and small wonders and happinesses he grants us every single day we draw breath.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I went to the West Texas Fair and Rodeo (actually, no rodeo tonight) and I don't WANT a real coke, but Troy and I did try a deep-fried Snickers. I've always said if you could fry sugar I would be VERY happy. Alas, it disappointed -- it's a good way to ruin a perfectly good Snickers if you ask me.

I'm very impressed with the flip flop cake and hope that is crushed graham cracker they are sitting on, because it looks remarkably like sand!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I DID have a real Coke. . .and some crackers (tap, tap).

Yes. . .the flip flop cakes sit atop crushed graham crackers. I have heard of the deep-frying craze at these Texas fairs but have never tried any of it. BUT I would dearly love some fried pickles again some day.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

DEEP FRIED SNICKERS???? Oh my. The California in me says RUN AWAY! while the Mississippi says GIMME ONE! That cake is adorable. Did you cut the flip flop shape out of a normal sheet cake, or use molded pans? I love the little flowers. It's very eight-year-old. :)

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute beach kids you have :)

LOVE the cake(s)! You are so creative!! My birthday's just around the corner, and I'm thinkin' flip flops cake would be perfect.

Scary stuff, fried snickers, Sarah. *shivvverrr*

5:57 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Flip Flop cakes. . .trace one's own flip flops. Cut out tracings. Lay over 13x9" cake (just one will do) and cut. The "thong" part is fruit by the foot. . .I cut it to length and folded it in half to make it narrower. The flowers are those pre-made Wilton ones you buy on a piece of cardboard.

So fun. . .and I use cream cheese icing on EVERY CAKE I MAKE. . .it dyes the same as buttercream.

Beach kids got their first sunburn. . .it was sad. . .but we sure had fun getting it.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Sandy's Space said...

A year after 9/11 my mother-in-law and I were on the Greek island of Mykonos. We were eating dinner and began talking to a young American, newly wed, couple.

"They told us we were crazy to travel, especially in this part of the world," they said to us. "We told our family and friends, you cannot allow them to make us so fearful that we alter our lives because of it."

I replied, "Yes, because if you do, they have won."

Americans have always believed in a liberty of life, there is no liberty in fear.

I believe to enjoy a perfectly normal, fearless day on such a monumental day in history, is a tribute to those who died that faitful morning.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home