It be's that way sometimes.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Rock and the Hard Place

School begins for me tomorrow. It begins tomorrow, because after tonight my summer is over. Tomorrow I meet my department chair at 8:30 at school so we can coordinate our presentation for inservice on August the 11th. On Tuesday and Wednesday I have all day middle school conferences to attend for the district. On Thursday and Friday, I will be wrapping things up around the house, buying school supplies and new shoes, and preparing my last ladies' class of the summer. On Saturday we have time with the kids scheduled. Sunday. . .church. Monday the 7th, all day team leader conference. Tuesday, ladies class and drop the kids at my in-laws because Wed. is the first day of school for teachers. . .OFFICIALLY.

My job is a blessing. I work with very nice people--especially my department chair who made/makes my working life so much easier than it could be. And I am ready to go back to school. . .but I don't want to go back to school. We've had a wonderful summer. . .so much fun. . .and today really was the last day of it. It's so funny--this week was "take your child to work" day for my sister-in-law's company. She had us bring Thad and Victoria to her office. On the way there Victoria said, "Mommy, what is work?" "What do you mean honey?" "Well, you and Daddy just go to school but Aunt Lisa goes to work. So what is work?" I remember thinking for the longest time that my mom didn't work--she just taught school. That was because she was off with us on all major holidays and summer and she was also right down the hall from me most of my school-attending career since she taught in the private school I attended. And odd set of circumstances for children of school teachers--work indeed.

So. . .off to bed with me. I must rest so that I can accomplish all tomorrow that needs to be done. . .mainly it involves thinking--putting my brain back into "school gear." The problem is that "school gear" and "summer gear" are EXACT opposites. . .so there's lots of grinding and jerking and unpleasant noise making in general to switch gears. . .no matter how many times I've done it. It's even more unpleasant since I know what it entails.

Besides, the state of Texas in the very sincerest of law-making ways says that Victoria MUST attend school. . .and it's a pretty good idea for Thad too even though we are holding him out of kindergarten for a year. So since they are going to be gone all day long. . .and Tony is too. . .I might as well go with them and make some cash to buy that copper rooster weather vane. . .AND pay the light bill. :)

(Big Sigh Here. . .)

Back to school.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheer cheer my dear :) It's the 'transition' time that's the toughest, isn't it? In no time you'll be back in going strong!

This has got me thinking about how I inject 'leisure' throughout the week. If we're not in soccer or baseball season (I sort of declare those games during the week my mini-vacations!) I've got my 90-minute bubble of yoga vacation once a week :)

One time my grandpa in Sweden asked me if we had jobs (!) and said yes, as in 'of course, why wouldn't we?' and his reply? I smile as big as the sun and a relieved/joyous/proud "that's good."

His words echo in my mind every time I start grumbling about having to go to work every Monday.

Except today... I took a day of vacation today :)

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A smile as big as the sun and a relieved/joyous/proud "that's good. (as in HE, my grandpa, smiled...)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah, I think it's harder on teachers to go back than on the students. At least students get REAL days off, without meetings or work. I was only teaching at a private school, and even there the number of meetings was unreal. I can't imagine being in the public system. But at least you get good compensation for it-- Hello, house! I hope it gets fun more quickly than usual for you. :)

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home