It be's that way sometimes.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

E is for Effort

Today, I chewed Javier out for "not putting forth ANY effort." He is in 6th grade and reads on a 3rd grade level. . .and what I told him was, "I don't care if you read at a 2nd grade level as long as you put forth the effort to READ at a 2nd grade level. You, however, put forth NO effort at all to read at ANY level." And Javier needed to hear every word I said. . .and so did I.

What is it that I need to put forth more effort at? What am I putting forth even a minimal amount of effort toward that I need to congratulate myself for?

I spend a lot of time bashing myself--house not clean, desk at school a mess, ate an entire box of Girl Scout cookies (Caramel Delights to be exact), lost my temper with my babies, skipped my Bible reading for a week. I certainly need to put forth more effort.

But when I talk to the kids rather than scream at them, when I can see even a fraction of my desk, when I stop eating Valetines candy before I get sick to my stomach, when I pick up my daily devotional Bible and read even though I'm only on February 8th, then I need to make sure and congratulate myself.

I have a feeling lots of women need to do more of that. . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Here is a mantra I'm learning to chant: "I'm doing the best I can do." When my new job was causing my stomach acid to eat my esophagus, when I drive around town always late to get to the next place with my teeth clenched trying to get there, when dinner is well past when reasonable people should eat -- I'm still doing the best I can do. Sometimes I wish I were doing better, but I'm doing the best I can do.

I spent this afternoon helping my first-born complete her "Reflections" project. I congratulated her for having a great idea and following through with it. I congratulated myself for getting her all of the supplies she needed and taking the time to help her with it. Kudos to us all!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

AND don't forget to congratulate yourself for not killing her while completing the project. . .MAJOR accomplishment--not that I've heard of any bad blood between you and Ashley, but because I know those projects can get a little hairy at times--especially with the girls.

R--

8:20 PM  
Blogger Tammy M. said...

No need to be disheartened for eating an entire box of caramel delights they have a secret ingredient that forces you to eat an entire box at one sitting. The years that I buy them, I tell myself that I will share them, I never do. I just try not to buy them anymore!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Tammy,

I laughed--what a great thing to know. . .the secret "secret" ingredient. Alas, this year Victoria is a Brownie. It's good that they are available for purchase only once a year.

Roxanne

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home